NEWS FROM WritersServices 20 August 2004
20 August 2004
With schools and colleges around the world heading back, WritersServices has provided over 80 papers in their Education resource Centre to help those running. The pages can be used freely by any student or course tutor.
"The modern writer is very professional" said Chris HolifieldManaging director of WritersServices; spent working life in publishing,employed by everything from global corporations to start-ups; track record includes: editorial director of Sphere Books, publishing director of The Bodley Head, publishing director for start-up of upmarket book club, The Softback Preview, editorial director of Britain’s biggest book club group, BCA, and, most recently, deputy MD and publisher of Cassell & Co. She is also currently the Director of the Poetry Book Society; During all of this time aware of problems faced by writers, as publishing changed from idiosyncratic cottage industry, 'occupation for gentlemen', into corporate business of today. Writers encountered increasing difficulty in getting books edited or published. Authors create the books which are the raw material for the whole business. She believes it is time to bring them back to centre stage., who edits the site content. "The number of people paying to have their work assessed by an editor increases every year to judge by the number of people using our services."
Most colleges and universities offer part-time courses in creative writing and how to get published. The material will help the hard-pressed course tutors to provide quality material.
"It was very gratifying when a course tutor came to our stand at the recent Annual Writers Conference in Winchester to thank us for this resource" added Chas Jonesauthor; formerly nerd responsible for keeping the site running; spent over 25 years in computer business; started out dusting bugs off valves, but in time graduated to writing software and managing projects; as published author with stack of waiting-to-be-published manuscripts tucked away, WritersServices is answer to his silent prayer; his book 'Ordinary Heroes' An extraordinary true story of wartime adventure; recently published book about Battle of Fulford-'Fulford the forgotten battle of 1066', published by Tempus ISBN 0752438107 who looks after the site.
How WritersServices can help you...
- Word count to page (207)
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Well (Complete Idiot's Guides (Lifestyle Paperback)) - Laurie Rozakis Ph.D. (96)
- Writing Your Dissertation: The bestselling guide to planning, preparing and presenting first-class work (The How to Series) - Derek Swetnam, Ruth Swetnam (67)
- US agent listings (64)
- Rotten Rejections: The Letters That Publishers Wish They'd Never Sent - Andre Bernard (52)
- New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel - (52)
- The Forgotten Battle of Fulford 1066 - Charles Jones (43)
- 101 Ways to Make Poems Sell: The Salt Guide to Getting and Staying Published (Salt Guides for Readers and Writers) - Chris Hamilton-Emery (40)