Advice for writers
Help for writers
- Which service? - a short introduction
- Choosing a service - a more detailed article
- Which report? will help you work out which is the right report for you.
- Services for Self-publishers - a new listing
- Our fictionalised stories show you how the services work
- Making submissions - how to give your work its best chance by making sure that the submissions you are making are as effective as possible.
- Your submission package - how to put it together and what you should send.
- Avoid rejection some tips on how to avoid rejection by doing your research before you make submissions.
- The Slush-pile - advice from an editor on how to get through it.
- Top Ten Tips for nonfiction writers to help you improve your writing.
- Writing for the web Our latest new checklist shows you how to write web pages to attract and keep visitors.
- Finding an agent can be tricky, but here's how to go about it so as to give yourself the best chance.
- Working with an agent shows you how to get the most out of this key relationship.
- Preparing a manuscript how to prepare your work to give it as professional a presentation as possible.
- Getting your manuscript copy edited explains our new approach to copy editing.
- American copy editing and how it differs from UK copy editing.
- Indexing is our professional service for non-fiction authors working through a publisher or self-publishing.
- The Ins and Outs of Indexing - what indexers do and why a computer can't do it as well.
- Why your book contract needs vetting a look at the advantages of having a professional overhaul your book contract.
- Talking to publishers - our series inviting publishers to tell you what they're looking for in different publishing genres.
- Sell, don't tell - a two-part article on how to pitch your script.
- Getting your poetry published shows you how to start by approaching poetry magazines before moving on to book publishers
- Preparing for criticism some tips on how to accept criticism and make the most of it, rather than letting yourself get demoralised.
- Preparing for Publication a run-through of what will happen after you find a publisher, with specific information on the stages your manuscript goes through on its way to publication.
- Proofreader's marks gives you a quick reference to electronic and manual signs which are commonly used by editors and proofreaders.
- Tips for writers brief pointers on how to develop your writing and get published or publish it yourself.
- An Editor's advice a series of 7 articles for writers from WritersServices editor Maureen Kincaid Speller a reviewer, writer, editor and former librarian, is our book reviewer and also works for WritersServices as a freelance editor.
- WritersServices Guide to Self-publishing - how to set about publishing your own book.
- WritersServices Self-publishing service - helping you to self-publish your book
- How to market your writing services online Joanne PhillipsUK-based freelance writer and ghostwriter. She has had articles published in national writing magazines, and has ghostwritten books on subjects as diverse as hairdressing and keeping chickens. Visit her at www.joannephillips.co.uk advises on having your own website, ezines and freelance writing sites.
- The business of writing, Joanne's second article, helps you deal with tax, national insurance and other business matters connected with being a writer.
- Our new list of free online Keyboard skills courses shows you how you can learn to touch-type.
- Entering competitions Our checklist helps you to review how you approach competitions, to see if you can achieve a better result.
- Masterclasses from past London Book Fairs provide input from top authors.
These pages from WritersServices Self-publishing, our self-publishing service, provide useful background to help understand the publishing process:
Background on the marketplace:
The Inside Publishing series takes you behind the scenes to understand what's really going on:
- Advances and Royalties
- The Relationship between Publishers & Agents
- Subsidiary rights
- The English-language publishing world
- The Marketing Department
- The Frankfurt Book Fair
- The Sales Department
- The Production Department
- Pricing - how it works
- Book clubs and direct mail
- Direct selling
- Children's publishing
- Print on demand
- Copy editing and proof-reading
- Vanity publishing
- Creative Commons
- The Writer/Publisher Financial Relationship
Michael Legat's 19 essential Factsheets cover everything from children's books to plagiarism, from revision to research.
And don't forget:
How WritersServices can help you...
- WritersServices Self-publishing (4,596)
- WritersServices Self-publishing Guide (3,941)
- WritersServices Self-publishing Guide 6 (3,910)
- WritersServices Self-publishing Guide 4 (3,786)
- WritersServices Self-publishing Guide 2 (3,754)
- WritersServices Self-publishing Guide 8 (3,715)
- WritersServices Self-publishing Guide 9 (3,640)
- WritersServices Self-publishing Guide 3 (3,576)