Copy Editing Service
WritersServices provides a high-quality professional copy editing service that offers great quality and value at an excellent price point.
Using our copy editing service is the best way to ensure that your manuscript is more successful! Our professional copy editing service will improve the presentation of your work and increase its chances of being taken on by a publisher.
If you are planning to self-publish, then we strongly advise you to have your book copy edited first. Copy editing for self-publishers
We have been offering our high quality copy editing service for over twelve years and have a team of skilled copy editors.
- Do you feel that your manuscript contains grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, and would have a better chance of publication if it were professionally prepared for press?
- Do you just want your work copy edited by an expert so that you know it’s in really good shape? Publishers copy edit the books they publish before they are sent to the printer, but if you are an unpublished author, you can help your chances of getting published by turning in a clean manuscript in the first place.
- Or do you intend to publish your book yourself and want it to receive the benefit of professional copy editing, so that you can be sure you'll get a printed book you can be proud of? Manuscripts need copy editing. We strongly advise self-publishers to have their work professionally copy edited before getting it printed.
If you are not sure about the difference between copy editing and proof-reading, this article might help.
Our copy editor will be a skilled professional with many years of experience of copy editing, which is a very specific editorial expertise.
- The copy editor will correct your spelling and punctuation, check the sentence structure, grammar and use of words, and impose consistency, using standard copy editing procedures throughout.
- We can offer copy editing using British, International or American spelling and usage. See our article on this.
- We will copy edit your work on screen and will send you two versions:.
- Changes made on screen and accepted - the copy editor will make the changes, working on screen, and will accept them before finishing the job. You will get emailed back to you a manuscript which is clean and ready for press. Please read through the manuscript carefully when you get it back to make sure that you are happy with all the changes.
- The second version will be on screen plus 'track changes', which means that you will be able to see all the changes the editor has made. It is very useful to see exactly what the editor has changed.
This unique service is now standard but at no additional cost to you.
(Author David Balderstone from Melbourne suggests how to use the two versions: "I studied the version with track change suggestions closely, learnt a lot, and fully realised how much editing work was involved. Then I read the version with track changes accepted very carefully.") See our Endorsements page.
What it costs
Copy editing a manuscript is a demanding and skilled task, with no shortcuts. The hours it requires are reflected in the fee structure, which is according to the length of the manuscript and reflects the state it is in. Since non-fiction is usually more taxing to work on and takes more time, we charge more for copy editing non-fiction manuscripts. On fiction we charge £.00535 per word, for a minimum of 50,000 words, ie £267.50. This means that a 80,000 word manuscript would cost £.00535 x 80,000 i.e. £428. On non-fiction we charge £.006 per word, with a minimum of 50,000 words ie £300.
Fees are payable in advance.
Please note that we will need to assess the manuscript before we can confirm the fee. There is no charge for this assessment, but please send your manuscript to us as a Word document to get a quote. We cannot quote without seeing the material because we can't estimate how long the work will take. If your manuscript is in a very untidy state or needs a heavy copy-edit, we may need to quote you a higher fee, but we also charge less if there's less work to do.
When we send your quote we will give you a date for completion of the work. If you are in a particular rush we can often achieve a faster turnaround than this, but please make any deadlines clear when you send the manuscript to us.
See some of the Endorsements/Testimonials WritersServices has received from satisfied customers
Order Process Help
|Services Stories Ordering Exchange calculator||Services for writers
We operate from the UK and under the financial rules and regulations of the UK
How WritersServices can help you...
- 101 Ways to Make Poems Sell: The Salt Guide to Getting and Staying Published (Salt Guides for Readers and Writers) - Chris Hamilton-Emery (96)
- New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel - (95)
- The Forgotten Battle of Fulford 1066 - Charles Jones (84)
- Dictionary of Printing and Publishing - P.H. Collin (76)
- Rotten Rejections: The Letters That Publishers Wish They'd Never Sent - Andre Bernard (75)
- Creative Web Writing - Jane Dorner (75)
- History of the Apostolic Faith Mission of Africa - Happiers Simbo (74)
- Networking for Business Success: Quick tips for busy people - Heather White (68)