T S Eliot Prize shortlist 2009
The Poetry Book SocietySpecialist book club founded by T S Eliot in 1953, which aims to offer the best new poetry published in the UK and Ireland. Members buy at 25% discount. The PBS has a handsome new website at www.poetrybooks.co.uk has announced the shortlist for 'the world's top poetry award' (the Independent).
Judges Simon Armitage (Chair), Colette Bryce and Penelope Shuttle have chosen the following 10 collections from the 98 new books published in 2009 submitted by UK and Irish publishers:
|Eiléan Ní Chuilleánain||The Sun-fish||Gallery|
|Fred D'Aguiar||Continental Shelf||Carcanet|
|Philip Gross||The Water Table||Bloodaxe|
|Sinéad Morrissey||Through the Square Window||Carcanet|
|Sharon Olds||One Secret Thing||Cape|
|Alice Oswald||Weeds & Wild Flowers||Faber|
|Christopher Reid||A Scattering||Areté|
|George Szirtes||The Burning of the Books and Other Poems||Bloodaxe|
|Hugo Williams||West End Final||Faber
Simon Armitage said:
'We believe this to be the most wide-ranging shortlist for a poetry prize for a good number of years, one which reflects the scope, breadth and vitality of contemporary poetry. From the extraordinary number of poetry titles to be published this year we have been most impressed and persuaded by poets who have pushed their level of craft to the next level, or, in some cases, have re-thought their entire approach to writing to produce uniquely invigorated work. The books on this list are by poets who have dreamed and who have dared.'
T S Eliot Prize Readings
In the Southbank's Queen Elizabeth Hall at 7.30 on Sunday 17 January. The winner will be announced the following evening.
New T S Eliot Prize reading groups
New this year, the PBS is running the first T S Eliot Prize reading group scheme with sample poems, reading group discounts and an article on setting up a poetry reading group.
New Teachers’ Prize
The T S Eliot Prize Shadowing Scheme has a new Teachers' Prize for a review of a shortlisted title, a student poll and a competition for the best individual student’s rationale for their choice of winner. The poems can be downloaded from this page and go to www.emagazine.org.uk for the teachers’ guide and the online poll.
How WritersServices can help you...
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Well (Complete Idiot's Guides (Lifestyle Paperback)) - Laurie Rozakis Ph.D. (59)
- New Novelist--Start Writing Your Novel - (55)
- Writing Your Dissertation: The bestselling guide to planning, preparing and presenting first-class work (The How to Series) - Derek Swetnam, Ruth Swetnam (50)
- 101 Ways to Make Poems Sell: The Salt Guide to Getting and Staying Published (Salt Guides for Readers and Writers) - Chris Hamilton-Emery (49)
- Word count to page (47)
- Glossary (44)
- A Writer's Guide to the Internet (Writers' Guides) - Trevor Ralph Lockwood, Karen Scott (38)
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Screenwriting - Skip Press (37)