Glossary of Agent terms
Biog - Brief, personal biography.
Commission - The percentage of the gross amount that will be deducted before the money is passed to the writer.
CV - European term for resume or brief personal biography.
Incorporating - As agencies grow up or grow old, they often absorb or are absorbed by other agencies.
IRC - International Reply Coupon will cover the postage if the item has to be returned to an address abroad. You can still find these in larger post offices.
MS - Manuscript or typescript is the original work set down on paper using, pen, typewriter or printer.
Résumé - North American term for CV or brief personal biography.
Literary Scouts - Literary scouts gather information from agents, publishers and editors on behalf of foreign publishers. They only work with material that is already commissioned or being handled by an agent. They do not accept any unsolicited material.
SAE or SASE- an envelope with your address on it and with sufficient value in stamps to cover the return of your work.
Script - This term is normally reserved for work for the performing arts such as plays or films.
Synopsis - A short summary of a piece of work, usually fiction.
Outline - A chapter-by-chapter breakdown of your planned (usually non-fiction) book.
Please note that we cannot help with clearing permissions. We suggest that you get in touch with the agencies directly.
How WritersServices can help you...
- Writing Your Dissertation: The bestselling guide to planning, preparing and presenting first-class work (The How to Series) - Derek Swetnam, Ruth Swetnam (39)
- Adventures In The Screen Trade: A Personal View of Hollywood - William Goldman (31)
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Well (Complete Idiot's Guides (Lifestyle Paperback)) - Laurie Rozakis Ph.D. (31)
- Creative Writing (How to) - Adele Ramet (30)
- How to Write a Dirty Story: Reading, Writing, and Publishing Erotica - Susie Bright (26)
- The Joy of Writing Sex - Elizabeth Benedict (26)
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft - Stephen King (26)
- Writer's Guide to Research: An Invaluable Guide to Gathering Materials for Features, Novels and Non-Fiction Books (Creative Writing) - Marion Field (25)